Monday, August 24, 2009

Quitting

I was surfing the WW boards yesterday, when I came across a gentleman who has lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks!! I thought, that's an awesome two-week total. He thought, it's not enough. The member is throwing in the towel as the weight is not melting off fast enough.

Two weeks!!

I'm going on 3 years following WW and I know I still have things to learn. I try to follow the program to the best of my ability, but sometimes life gets in the way.

Two weeks!!

Habits take much longer than two weeks to form. I feel great about the foods that I eat, but I still know that I eat too much. My portions keep creeping to a bigger level and have sometimes turned into a "second" portion on occasion. I know I'm not hungry, but just enjoy the food.

Last night, I watched a new episode of "Ruby." I do enjoy the show for the most part, as she is definitely a "real" person struggling to lose a lot of weight. In the episode, she admitted to not journaling, not exercising enough, and also not eating what she was supposed to.

It is so easy to get back into bad habits that a "new" habit has to be given a chance for at least a month. Somewhere I have heard that most WW members quit before their fifth week. Is that really long enough to even create a healthy habit?

Going on three years and I'm still learning healthy habits, I won't be quitting anytime soon.

4 comments:

Brightcetera said...

First of all ... Congratulations for sticking with this for 3 years! That tells me you're "living it" and it's not really a "diet" for you.
that's awesome commitment regardless of whether or not you sometimes go off a little. who doesn't?

This time it's taken just about 2 months for this to feel like I've made eating well a good habit.

It's for shame that this person can't see that 6 lbs in 2 weeks is an awesome loss.

Do you think maybe that shows like The Biggest Loser are promoting and reinforcing this kind of thinking?
I know I stopped watching. It got to me when people would get so upset at "only" losing 2 pounds in a week.

Re: yesterday's post and the 55 things on a stick.
That's not *fair* yuk yuk ...

WWSuzi said...

After years of doing this i'm still learning new things everyday!

Kathy said...

There are those people who expect huge weight losses every week and I just grow impatient with hearing them gripe. I don't know how those of you who work for WW can take it. There are also the people who lose a bunch very quickly and go around bragging that they will NEVER be tempted to go back to their old ways, that they have it conquered and will NEVER be heavy again! I know enough to say that everyone is tempted at some point...especially when the weight loss slows down or when you have reached your goal. Taking it off is just the beginning. The loss itself is your reward. Following that lifestyle change the rest of your life is the real challenge. And I congratulate people who are able to accomplish that...including you, my friend!

Becky Fyfe said...

I can't imagine giving in so quickly.

I've been doing this for 15 months and have lost 116.5 pounds, and I'm STILL learning from this process. It's worth sticking with for the long-haul.