Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Flax Seeds



Flax Seeds are another super food that I have little to no experience using. I've heard a lot about flax seeds and flax seed oil as it is one of the healthy oils suggested to use daily through Weight Watchers. Apparently, Flax Seed Oil is an oil that is not good to cook with. Not exactly sure why? Flax Seeds are full of fiber. 3 grams per tablespoon. Flax seeds are not digested properly if eaten whole. The preferred way to serve flax seeds is ground or in a flax seed meal form. Something else to remember is that flax seeds and the flax seed oil should be kept refrigerated. If it's left out too long, it can become rancid.

3 comments:

noelle said...

From what I remember, flax seed oil loses all of its good stuff if it's heated. It's supposed to be great in smoothies.

I use flax seed meal in my quick breads all the time to replace some of the oil. And the added fiber is great for us too!

Anonymous said...

I haven't done too much with flax seed or flax seed oil, but I'll have to check them out.

Now, kale I love.............:)

Dinahsoar said...

I've read that men should use fish oil instead of flax oil ...something to do with it promoting prostate cancer...

And you are right about not eating whole flax seed...it goes through the digestive tract whole and it has pointy ends...I've noticed that some of the health brands of cereals and bars have whole flax seeds.