Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Kale


Thought I'd share more about the super foods that I heard about last week. Today, I'll focus on Kale. I have to admit, this was the one food listed that I had no idea what it was. Kale is a relative of broccoli and cabbage. It has leaves like cabbage and a thick stalk like broccoli. When preparing Kale, it can be thrown it with most any other veggies. The only thing to remember about kale is to peel the stalky portioned away from the leaves. Much like broccoli, that stalky portion is very fiberous and difficult to eat. It can be chopped or left whole and added to soups, stew and stir-fry. It is tough and best cooked, not raw. When eating kale, you will probably burn more calories eating it than are in kale. I love foods like that!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Try this recipe for Kale Chips:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Wash and cut up a bunch of kale.

Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.

Top with seasonings you like — Mrs. Dash, salt, pepper, BBQ seasonings

Bake for 10 minutes

Anonymous said...

We love kale here! My husband's family is from Holland and they make mashed potatoes and they put pureed (uncooked) kale in it -- it makes green potatoes and is yummy! (Now the Dutch make this w/ cut up sausage and gravy...not so healthy!) Your kids might like green mashed potatoes though! :) I wash the kale, puree it in my blender and then put about 1-1.5c of it into the mashed potatoes after I've added whatever to the potatoes & mashed them. I freeze the rest of the puree for another time (drain some of the water from the frozen/thawed stuff or it will be too watery). I have also put the pureed stuff into stir-fries & soups -- I don't put too much in though because it has quite a strong taste.

Any snow there? We still have some. Lots of melting going on though.
D

TB--Milwaukee said...

Our snow is pretty much melted.