Monday, October 13, 2008

Apple Picking Time


Saturday, the whole family went apple picking. I really enjoy this traditional outing especially since it is much easier than the tradition my parents always had: strawberry picking. The first time we went apple picking, I thought it would take forever, but really the apple are at a great height and apples are much bigger than berries so it only takes a short time to fill a bushel. It is very economical to do the picking yourself as well. In the apple house, there were some apples that were $12 for a 1/4 of a bushel and went you picked them yourself, it was $19 for a bushel no matter what kind of apple. We got a good variety. Now, what to do with close to a bushel of apples? Yesterday, we made two apple pies and I'd like to find a good recipe for an oatmeal/apple crisp that can be done in the slow-cooker. Anyone got one...Kathy? I'm thinking apple sauce might be fun to make and looking for a good recipe that for cookies that I could throw some apples into.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a recipe for the apple crisp but when you do get one, would you mind posting it on your blog? Thanks in advance!

new*me said...

that looks like so much fun! I don't have a recipe.....I just eyeball some oats, flour, cinnamon and a little brown sugar......with a couple tbs of promise and throw it on top of the apples and bake for about 30 minutes. Blueberries with the apples is amazing too!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Oh boy that looks good!

Anonymous said...

I have a good quick and easy apple crisp recipe, but it doesn't include oats. I'll send it your way.

We did apples this weekend, too. We peeled and cut them all and I froze them, some already with splenda, cinnamon and flour for pies and some just plain. We also made our own apple cider and it was cheap and good.

Peachy

Anonymous said...

RYC: I did. I asked his permission to post it before I posted it. :)

Anonymous said...

I love apple picking season. When my kids were young, it was a fall tradition.

Oh, and the apple cider, real apple cider, is great, too.

The pies look fantastic.

SuperDave said...

Awww, I miss "apple pickin time."
It use to be a yearly family thing when I was younger. Very cool, and I know your kids will remember how fun it is forever..

Kathy said...

Aren't apples gorgeous???
And, funny you should ask about an apple recipe cause I just did what are called "Crockpot Fried Apples" and they are really good.
3# tart apple like Granny Smith, peeled and quartered
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup sugar (I used half that and it was plenty sweet!!!)
2 Tbsp butter
Mix all the dry ingredients together and toss them with the apples and place in crockpot topped with the butter. I added a quarter cup of water cause I didn't trust the apples to cook out enough liquid, but they were fine! Cook on low for 6 hours.
These were excellent and I used what was left in the fridge tonight to make the filling for a couple of apple turnovers.

Anonymous said...

please come over today!

ok

if you want you can haul yer pies along too.
I dont mind.

kborn said...

i want pies...so much work.
applesauce is always yummy.

apple cranberry crisp is THE BEST...or apples and cherries is pretty good too...

apple pancakes! yummy, those are good too...or apple muffins...

i'm hungry...better go eat lunch while q's sleeping!