Monday, May 4, 2009

What's Your Destiny?



It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny.
Jean Nidetch

Do you feel that you are always in control of your food choices? It's hard to always be on top of your game, but it is "choice" that makes all the difference. This weekend, we celebrated my oldest daughter's first Communion. It's difficult to have a plan and stick to it when I'm at a social event with lots of food. Fortunately, this party was at my own house, but still we had others bringing food. My plan was to have one serving and stop, my choice was something different: two plate fulls without even thinking. My plan was to have fruit salad for dessert and not have cake, my choice was something different: not one, but two pieces of cake and the fruit salad. My plan was to get a good cardio workout on the elliptical and try to get 10,000 steps, my choice was something different: didn't bother with the elliptical, too late when everyone left and I only got about 7,000 steps and didn't care. Do you see a pattern?

My choices have definitely determined my destiny for the weekend. My choices will also determine my destiny for this week and the future. I will not let my bad choices, outweigh my good choices!

4 comments:

Andrew is getting fit said...

Amen to that!

MizFit said...

is it Shakespeare who said the choices we make dictate the lives we lead?

Kathy said...

Jean Nidetch had no idea what she was starting, did she? The face of WW for so many years. I remember learning about her story as I signed up for WW the first time at the end of 1969! Now if I had followed the WW plan to the letter back then, my life would have been so different in the intervening years! The lesson is that you have to make fresh choices every day and it doesn't matter a whit what you did yesterday...good or bad. It is what you do today that counts and the only choice you have control over. One of the toughest things an overeater has to face is separating celebration from food intake.

kborn said...

She's so pretty! I'm glad she had teeth for the shots. :) No photo of the banner??