Friday, January 25, 2008

"Jelly Side Down and Sunny Side Up"

Today, I went to an interesting workshop for Activity Professionals Week. The speaker was Cheryl Kirking a local singer, songwriter, author and mother of triplets. She give a great motivational speech about not sweating the small stuff. Lots of personal stories and audience interaction. The title came from an incident she encountered while eating some toast that her husband insisted she eat for breakfast, answering a phone call from a fellow girl scout leader and in the process dropping the toast on her skirt jelly side down. She went through the feelings she had about getting made at her husband, at her friend, at the girl scouts, at the "law of physics," etc. It was an enjoyable afternoon. I love going to this particular workshop/seminar as it allows me the chance to visit with old friends and network to meet new people as well. I saw several old friends, but most of them have been staying in touch, so no one was too surprised by my weight loss. My favorite quote for the day was by Herm Albright: "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

It's great to be able to attend motivational speeches once in a while as it refreshes and reinvigorates me to try new ideas.


Friday Food Find



I've tried a few different varieties of these Green Giant Frozen Vegetables, but these have become my favorite. There are two servings per container. Each serving is 50 calories, 3g fat, and 2g fiber. These have been a regular part of my lunch during the week. They take 3-4 minutes to microwave, which is better than a few other varieties that have taken longer than 5 minutes. When I'm eating lunch, it's all about time since I like to take a walk as well.

5 comments:

noelle said...

I love those veggies too. I always eat the whole box since it's still just a few points. And a great way to get an extra serving in!

Kathy said...

I always enjoyed that type of workshop too...they just wear off so quickly! lol I think I'm a positive person, in general...which helps.

I thought about you and your cookies all day yesterday...part of the reason I wrote about co-workers who offer goodies, I think. I wish you well and want so much for your journey to continue without incident. You deserve the best!

Anonymous said...

I love that quote! I also like "Living well is the best revenge."

For frozen veggies, I just buy the store brand and season them according to whatever else it is I'm having.

TB--Milwaukee said...

We've bought the store brand as well for family meals, but I like these for their convenience. It's easy to grab, through in my lunch and eat the whole thing for low points and lots of flavor.

Anonymous said...

I love that quote - hilarious!

Just checking up on you! Great idea about the angel food cake -- did ya eat some for me? (no, on second thought don't, that could get you back to square one and we don't want to go there... ;) ). Happy Birthday to your wife! D