Monday, June 9, 2008

Anchors


an·chor (ngkr)
n.
1. Nautical A heavy object attached to a vessel by a cable or rope and cast overboard to keep the vessel in place either by its weight or by its flukes, which grip the bottom.
2. A rigid point of support, as for securing a rope.
3. A source of security or stability.
4. Sports
a. An athlete, usually the strongest member of a team, who performs the last stage of a relay race or other competition.
b. The person at the end of a tug-of-war team.
5. An anchorperson.
v. an·chored, an·chor·ing, an·chors
v.tr.
1. To hold fast by or as if by an anchor. See Synonyms at fasten.
2. Sports To serve as an anchor for (a team or competition).
3. To narrate or coordinate (a newscast).
4. To provide or form an anchor store for: Two major stores anchor each end of the shopping mall.
v.intr.
Nautical To drop anchor or lie at anchor.


Anchors can be a great reminder and motivation to reach and maintain a goal. The guys of GOAD are designing a bracelet that says: MAKE THE BETTER CHOICE! It has come to be somewhat of a slogan for the Goadies. Everyday a thread is started by one of the biggest losers stating: What was the better choice you made today? I often try to add something to the thread even if is as small as waking up to exercise or choosing yogurt instead of ice cream. I am looking forward to getting another anchor to go along with the other ones I value so much including my 5 lb. stickers and 10% keychain to go along with the Biggest Loser Keychain I received for Christmas. Anchors can be very helpful as a motivator. So what are some of your anchors?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

What's GOAD? The bracelet sounds VERY cool!

Anonymous said...

My anchor is my blog. Usually, the more attention I pay to keeping the blog updated translates into better management of my weight maintenance.

Melissa, GOAD stands for Guys On A Diet, one of the message boards on the Weight Watchers web site.

Kate said...

The bracelet sounds very cool, and what a great way to keep important things on your mind, at all times.

Kathy said...

Terrific idea!
I always do better if I eat the right breakfast! It sets the tone for the entire day.

Matt Keeling said...

Indeed anchors are such a good reminder. That silly 10% key chain is a constant reminder for me to. It is normally something I would not even put on my key chain, but in this case I just had to.