Friday, November 7, 2008

In Praise of: Sweet Potatoes



My eye is almost back to normal. Thanks for the concern! I am still wearing my glasses and actually getting used to them once again after wearing contacts for so long, I had gotten spoiled by not having to wear them.

Today, I thought I'd bring back one of my favorite blogging subjects, praising food. Haven't done an "In praise of" for a long time.

This time of the year, sweet potatoes are readily available. This is the first year that I have really tried them. I have to say that I love them. I went to Sam's this week and they had a 10 lb box for $8.88. I've eaten one a day all week, slicing them, adding a bit of oil and baking them for 30 minutes. They come out just a little soft and melt in your mouth delicious.

Do you have a favorite way to serve sweet potatoes without having the traditional Thanksgiving brown sugar with marshmallows mega-calorie feast?

8 comments:

Kathy said...

We have had baked sweet potatoes twice this week. I love them very plain with a tiny bit of brown sugar and cinnamon.
Glad the eye is better.

new*me said...

I love them too! I am roasting a small turkey this weekend and that's the side :) I like to bake them and then put a lot of cinnamon and nutmeg on top with some butter spray.........YUM!

Anonymous said...

fries
fries
fries.

James Hubbard, M.D., M.P.H. said...

I only like them fried, in healthy oil. My wife loves them in any form. I wish I did. They are so nutritious

Anonymous said...

I loved baked potatoes & usually eat them rather than white/yellow potatoes. You don't need to put oil on them to bake them -- just poke a knife into them and wrap them with foil (after washing them, of course). They bake faster than white/yellow potatoes -- but they're okay in the oven for longer.

I eat mine with some cottage cheese on top and then some salsa -- yum! Or just salsa, depending on what else I'm eating. I also like mine with flax oil and black pepper.

So good for you!

Hope your eye improves -- I so understand the whole contacts/glasses thing! I've worn contacts since I was 16 and really miss them when I can't wear them. I have exzema around my eye right now (both eye lids & below my left eye) which isn't nice for contact wearing (itchy around my eyes, flaking skin -- real attractive!). Although I like the glasses that I have right now, I must prefer wearing contacts. BTW, 4/5 of us here wear contacts! D

Ripx180 said...

I like them as fries too... brush them with EVO Oil and lightly salt, then bake in the oven of course. Yummy!!! Tricks me into thinking I am having something bad.

Anonymous said...

naggy nag :)

everything ok there?

just busy?

Anonymous said...

I just bake them, and eat them as is. No butter, no sugar. They're so bloody sweet, I can't eat them marshmallowed or sweetened. Unlike regular potatoes, the skin isn't so tasty. So I guess I squeeze the insides out. I really like the okinawa (purple) ones, but haven't seen them recently, must not be the season.