Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Nothing Tastes As Good As...

I listen to lots of podcasts.  I just enjoy listening to people ramble about nothingness.  I listen to sports podcasts, news podcasts, health & wellness podcasts.  I always have a few waiting for me on my iPod to listen to while I exercise.  I usually don't listen to them while I run, I need to loud heart pounding rhythm making feet music for running. 

Last week, I was listening to a Jillian Michaels podcast from a week or two ago and during her opening schpeel, she mentioned a Good Morning America story that spoke about how different people eat when faced with labels that mention "good for you," "healthy," "fat-free," etc.  She said if people are faced with choices between "healthy" and "non-healthy" choices, they tend to eat less when given the non-healthy alternatives and over indulge when given the healthy options.

Nothing tastes as good as free will!  I don't want to be told what to eat, when to eat it and how much to eat.  Sometimes when I go to the grocery store, I am overwhelmed by the amount of choices. Each aisle, each item seems to have an endless amount of choices.  Yesterday, I went to a big box store to buy some laundry detergent that was on sale.  I know I always get the "original" scent, but for the life of me, I couldn't find it on the shelf: "Spring Breeze", "Scented with Downy", "Frebreze Scented", "Original with Bleach", and a wide variety of other scents, but no plain original. 

Nothing tastes as good as free will! I like going to Applebee's with the family, but when I go out to eat I don't want to think "Weight Watchers", "South Beach", "Atkins" or anything else. I just want to eat something that I want to eat.  I know it's best to plan ahead, but when I go out to eat I want what I want! 

To go along with that way of thinking, choice is a good thing and when offering snacks to hungry kiddos choices should be offered, but healthy alternatives also should always be an option.  Offer the fruit and veggies in different combinations and they'll choice the combo that they like.  I tend to offer with added features such as with peanut butter, with dip, with chocolate dipping sauce, etc.  I will definitely be watching my snack offerings this summer while allowing choice for FREE WILL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

True! I fight the rigid mentality - Ugh. It's okay to have some junk as long as it's once in a while only...but I still view it as a failure. Perfectionism stinks!
Dawn