Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Let's Move Everest

I've been contemplating going back to work full time after the kiddos go back to school.  My littlest one, Ben, will be going to 4K and I'll be home all day by myself with nothing to do, but eat ;)  I'd have plenty to keep me busy, groceries, laundry, cleaning, etc. are nice to get done when there are no distractions around, but if I could find a good little part time job, or a full time job close to home, I'm all for it.

Yesterday, I had an interview for a position the would be perfect for me. The current person is going on maternity leave in mid-September and they are looking to hire someone to fill in for her and then take on a type of "job share" once she comes back, if she comes back.  The interview was my first experience with a group interview.  There were 10 potential candidates in a circle and the human resource director along with the current person leaving soon.  We introduced ourselves, answered silly ice breakers including, if you were in the circus what would you do and if you're boss asked you to help move Mt. Everest what would you do?  After the ice breakers, we broke into two small groups and decided which 5 people out of a group of 12 to save and start a new world with.  It was a crazy activity that I am sure was meant to see how quickly you can work with others and how well you compromise, make choices, etc.

After that, 3 written questions: Besides yourself, who would you hire?  What are your strengths? And what you liked/disliked about the interview process?

I hadn't been in an interview for a LONG time looking for a music therapy position. Over 7 years ago actually, as it was right after I graduated with my degree.  I did have an interview earlier this year, but it was at the same place that I've been working and just to gain a few hours in another department.  That was much more relaxed and more like friends just chatting.

Now to the food, yesterday, I was feeling down because I had really had a horrible food day on Monday.  I meet with my trainer Tuesdays and she really cheered me up.  I can't help but laugh and have a good time working out.  Who knew 8 pound weights could be so heavy when used in the right way.  My shoulders and thighs are hurting today.

No comments: